Chemical Transportation by Sea: Types of Tankers and Precautions to Take
Chemical transportation is a complex process that requires utmost care and caution to ensure safety and prevent damage. CSI offers a range of chemical tankers for bulk transport via sea, designed to meet the specific needs of the chemical industry. On this page, we will discuss the types of chemical tankers available for transporting chemicals and the precautions that you must take.
TYPES OF CHEMICAL TANKERS
Chemical tankers are specialized vessels that are designed to carry liquid products in bulk. They come in different sizes and capacities, depending on the type and quantity of the chemicals to be transported. CSI provides the following types of chemical tankers:
- IMO Type 1: This type of tanker is used to transport chemicals that pose a “very severe” environmental hazard, as listed in Chapter 17 of the International Bulk Chemical Code. The cargo to be shipped cannot exceed 1.2250 m3 per tank.
- IMO Type 2: Type 2 tankers are used to transport chemicals with an “appreciably severe” environmental hazard. The cargo quantity should not exceed 3000 m3 per tank.
- IMO Type 3: This type of chemical tanker is used to transport chemicals posing a “sufficiently severe” environmental hazard. The tankers need to have a moderate degree of containment to survive damage. There is usually no filling limitation for type 3 chemical tankers.
PRECAUTIONS TO TAKE
Transporting chemicals is a highly sensitive process that requires extreme care and caution. Here are some of the precautions that must be taken:
- Use the right type of chemical tanker for the specific chemicals being transported.
- Ensure that the tanker is properly cleaned and maintained before loading the cargo.
- Make sure that the cargo is properly labeled and packaged according to the regulations.
- Follow the loading and unloading procedures carefully to prevent spills or leaks.
- Ensure that the crew is properly trained and equipped to handle any emergencies.
Let us help you
At CSI, we understand the complexities involved in chemical transportation and offer customized solutions to meet your specific needs. Our expert team is trained to handle all aspects of the shipping process, from packaging and labeling to customs clearance and delivery.
Request a quote today and experience our seamless chemical transportation services.